India’s North East has long been neglected in terms of both economic and social development despite the richness of natural resources in the region. The North East presents a huge opportunity for investment and growth of business enterprises in the region. A critical appraisal of key economic indicators along with a detailed sketch of the individual strengths of these states is necessary to achieve a holistic framework to target growth in the region.The article traces the key enablers to improve the quality of higher education in all university-affiliated degree colleges in the North-East of India. The seven North-East Indian states, popularly known as ‘Seven Sisters’ are distinctly different from the other parts of the country in terms of the hostility of the geographic and socio-economic environment. As a pioneering attempt we have used the metrics of Measure phase under the Six Sigma Define Measure Analyze Improvement and Control (DMAIC) approach to identify the critically weak areas that need immediate attention in the higher education sector in a backward region. The study was conducted in two phases – Phase 1 determines the sampling plan. In the second phase of the study, using the Box plot technique, the study identifies the possible weak areas (sub-enablers) and weakest areas (critical domain) for improvement. In particular, while the entire North-East part of the country is characterised by adverse topography, a skewed rural-urban divide as well as erratic socio-political factors, tribal unrests, militant activities, our study focuses on providing a theoretical dimension to the abysmal quality and passing rates in such a hostile environment and suggested possible improvements.
Photo: Anaya Brahma performing at North East Festival in association with the North Eastern Management Association
The North Eastern Management Association (NEMA), which came into being on 21st May, 2016, is a non-political, non-partisan, voluntary regional management association with national and international perspectives. The Association is getting
registered under the SR Act XXI of 1860. This is a cohesive group of management experts, economists, business community, business and management researchers, technologists etc, with multifarious objectives such as- to serve as a forum for the exchange of ideas, experiences; collection and dissemination of information on management, business, trade, and commerce; to promote the research and consultancy activities; and to bring coordination in the Business Management
curriculum at national level. Any person/institution interested in the study of business management, trade and commerce, and economic issues of the firms and issues subscribing to the objectives of the Association can be member of the NEMA.
Members of NEMA are presently drawn from the eight North Eastern States but membership to NEMA is also open to all the interested individuals/institutions from all over the world. The core activities of NEMA include organization of seminars, conferences, workshops, and meetings; promotion of research; providing technical assistance and consultancy to the clientele world and publication of books, journals and periodicals, etc. The activities of the Association are managed by an Executive Committee consisting of five office bearers and six executive committee members.
Aim and Objectives of North Eastern Management Association:
• To undertake, promote, co-ordinate and collaborate in the study of managerial problems and issues in India with special emphasis on North East India.
• To provide a common platform for interaction of ideals and exchange of experiences among the scholars.
• To contribute in promoting an atmosphere conducive for research through dissemination of information and knowledge.
• To contribute in promoting technical competence for teaching and research in the field of business management and its allied subject covering trade and commerce, economics, tourism and hospitality management, entrepreneurship, international business, strategic management, social and cross cultural studies etc.
• To undertake any other activities in furtherance of the course of the association as per the changing paradigm of the business and managerial world
Conference Sub Themes:
We invite researchers and practitioners to submit their ideas, articles and abstracts pertaining to following suggested themes (this list is not exhaustive):
Inclusive and Equitable Economic Growth
Dynamics of Family Business
Corporate Governance; Mechanism and Practices
Behavioural Corporate Governance
Culture and Strategy
Emerging organisational structures
Change management in dynamic business environment
Innovations in financial services
Sustainable financial regulatory framework
Financial intermediaries in sustainable economies
Transformation of financial system for green economy
Knowledge management in knowledge economy
Human Resource Capital Practices
Human Resource Planning and Analytics
Green Marketing and Responsible Consumerism
ICT in development practices
Green ICT for sustainability
Recent trends in ICT
Business practices in Non Profit Organisation
Business Ethics in sustainable development
Entrepreneurship, growth and competitiveness
Innovation and technological entrepreneurship
Social and community entrepreneurship
Tourism and sustainable development
Eco Tourism and Community tourism
Society and corporate houses
Innovation, strategy and CSR
Challenged and Opportunities in sustainable marketing
Culture aspects in business and sustainable marketing
Marketing in real time scenario
Solar and other sustainable Energies for future
Managing water crises in future
Sustainability Development Agenda 2030
Managing forest and other natural resources
Climate Change Management
Disaster and Crisis Management
Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)
Education on Sustainability, Climate Change, Society, and Inclusiveness
Sustainability and Smart Cities
Sustainable Supply Chain Management
Global Reporting Initiatives and Corporate Sustainability
Corporate Citizenship and Corporate Governance Issues and Challenges
Role of Spirituality in Sustainability and Responsible Businesses
Managing Indigenous Cultures and Livelihood
Author can submit their paper as an email attachment in doc or docx format at firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Length of full-length paper should be about 3000-5000 words.
• The entire paper (title, abstract, keywords, main text, figures, tables, references, etc.) must be in ONE document created in MS WORD (compatible mode). Please use Times
New Roman font.
Font size should be 16 point for title, and 12 point for rest of the text. Please provide margin of 1”on all sides. The text should be justified.
• References should be provided using American Psychological Association (APA) guidelines.
• Check that the paper prints correctly (i.e. all imported figures and tables are there) and ensure that the file is virus-free.
• Changes in the paper title, authorship and paper contents shall not be possible after the submission deadline.
• Submitted papers must not have been previously presented, published, accepted for publication anywhere.
• Submission of a paper implies that should the paper be accepted, at least one of the authors will register and present the paper in the conference.
• Last date of registration is 10th August, 2017.
• Authors should provide their full name, current affiliation, and contact details on the cover page of their research paper.
• Kindly indicate the name of the corresponding author in case of two or more authors. All conference related mails will be addressed to the corresponding authors.
The peer-reviewed conference papers will be published in the Book Proceedings (Full Paper) bearing an International Standard Book Number (ISBN). Based on Editor‟s review, few selected papers may be published in the International Journal of Applied Management Research (IJAMR)
Details for correspondence: –
Prof. W. C. Singh, Secretary, NEMA, Contact: +91- 9612102462
Dr. Sunildro L.S. Akoijam, Jt. Secretary. NEMA, Contact: +91-8414025532
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org